Saturday, July 11, 2009

So excited!

I was researching the different wls procedures out there, and was wondering if my insurance would cover a certain one (the duodenal switch). Unfortunately it isn't covered, so it looks like I'm sticking with plan A of having the Roux En Y (RNY) gastric bypass.

Well, I got looking closer, and noticed something had changed as far as the requirements for surgery. Originally I was told I had to do a 6 month supervised diet to even be considered for surgery. Well, BCBS of Texas (and many others) have changed that! They now only require THREE months of supervised weight loss! That means I am DONE with my supervised diet requirement and can move on to the next step!

I've already done the echo cardiogram that Nicole ordered. Have to talk to the surgeon's office and see if they need an EKG as well. Not sure if they're going to require a pulmonary clearance, so may have to do that. The labs Nicole ordered should be enough (except for the protime level to check clotting factors... will have to do that still).

So this means we can start talking about submitting the forms to the insurance company and getting an actual date for the surgery! I am SO EXCITED! Hopefully by the end of September I'll have had the surgery and well on my way to a healthier, happier THINNER me!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on moving along on the journey. If you haven't already, I recomend... ah, I see Mel in your followers list, so I'll assume you've been to BTV.com

    I look forward to reading about your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the title of your blog I thought "Stamping" was some sort of dance!! lol..... RNY is quite a big deal. Some folks have great success with it. Some don't. I DO know that paying attention to nutrition will help you succeed no matter what your choice. You deserve to be healthy, vibrant, energetic and hopeful! I wish you the best of the best!!

    ReplyDelete